Monday, September 17, 2007

Something that really impressed me

Last week in my Intro to Theatre Design class, our instructor Dave Noffsinger assigned us a two word project. In this project we each drew to words at random and had to come up with a way to connect them. We were to create a research board, a concept paper, and a box that shows our connection.

One of my friends Lauren drew the words soft and wire. we made jokes about the ways she could connect them and after that i went without thinking of what her connection would be. Honestly i didn't expect much from her because we all kind of took the project as a joke. well the day came for her to present and I was blown away at the metaphor she created while tying the two words together.

What lauren said was that while she was researching she just keep thinking about a soft wire. Then she said she thought about a trapeze act where the person walks across the wire. She then went onto explain how hard it is to walk on the wire and said that represented life. That our life is nothing more than a struggle get across our own personal tight rope.

In the box that we had to make to represent our connection Lauren had yarn going all over the place. she said that the extra yarn represent both obstacles that we have to over come and people that we meet in our life. She explianed that while we are all living our own lives our wire is intertwined with a lot of other peoples wire and that we must rely on some of them to help us get across our own wire and also be warry of the people who are trying to knock us off of our own.

Laurens presentatin made me think a lot about my own life and me realize how right she truly is about our wires being intertwined with other peoples. this was just something that really made me think and i wanted to know what you guys thought about it

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like the metaphor. I can almost feel like I fall into a rhythm in life and am walking across my rope really well... but then if someone else jumps on I shake and it shows the influence others have on us. That sounds like a fun project though.